Saturday, March 31, 2012

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing


The inspiration for the colors...




This is from Last month; there were 2 occasions, one of my dear friend’s birthday and the anniversary of another couple who are our neighbours as well as good friends. I decided to bake cakes for them both and decided to make a carrot cake with cream cheese icing. People usually end up with a lot of chocolate cakes on such occasions and my friend S is not even particularly fond of chocolate or things that are too sweet, so I thought a spicy moist carrot cake with the twist of a cream cheese icing would be a welcome change for her and T&A (my other friends celebrating their anniversary).  
Since I was anyways baking I made one extra heart shaped small cake for my beloved R, how could I leave him without one J
Recipe             

For cupcakes:

Ingredients:

100gms butter at room temperature
200gms All purpose flour
150gms sugar (I used powdered sugar, u can use castor sugar if u like)
25 gms Dark Muscavado Sugar
1 1/2cups (about 160gms) finely grated carrots
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda/sodium bi carb
1 tablespoon milk
1 Egg


Method:

1) Preheat oven to 170 degrees
2) Cream the butter and sugars
3) Add the egg and mix for about a minute
4) Add the carrots and nutmeg and the milk
5) Sift in the the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon powder
6) Stir the mix just till its all combined with a rubber/silicon spatula
7) Spoon the mixture into an 8 inch cake pan/mould
8) Bake at 180 degrees for about 35-40mins or until a skewer comes out clean


For the Icing:

Ingredients:

8oz Cream Cheese
75 gms Butter
150gms sifted Confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract


Method:


1)     Beat the cream cheese and butter together till creamy then gradually add the sugar n vanilla and beat till fluffy and smooth.
2)    If you wish to create the pink lattice pattern on the cake then just dip a toothpick in wilton red food colour and mix it evenly into 1/4th of the cream cheese icing and keep aside.
3)    Once the cake has completely cooled down, slice it into half horizontally.
4)    Spread the white icing on the lower half, leaving at least an inch on the sides (to avoid spilling from the sides as the icing will spread once you place the other half on the bottom slice)
5)    Place the other half on top of the iced bottom layer
6)    Cover the cake with the non-coloured icing with a flat spatula and then using a decorative icing tip create the lattice pattern with the pink coloured icing.



4 comments:

  1. Wow Abhi..I am sure you had some extremely happy friends. Would have liked to see some pictures of cut slices. I do not have an oven here so I have to sit on my hands right now but will try this as soon as I buy one. Love them.....

    Poornima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Poorni, even i wanted to put a few pictures of a slice but couldn't do that since it wasn't cut by it and no one wanted to wait for pictures to be clicked :) will surely post some if I make this again...

    ReplyDelete

Pages