A confession, I almost forgot to post this one...was going through my food pictures when I spotted these pretty babies and decided to write a post last night.
I wanted to bake something nice and pretty for New Year’s Eve and as usual I started with my long list of things that I could bake. The list was too confusing, so I asked R what he would like to eat. He said he would like to eat chocolate cake, to that I said ‘Isn’t that too heavy....I mean chocolate... Do you really want that?’ He said ‘fine, then make the cheese cake’ and I said ‘cheesecake...but I just made that a while ago...Its boring to make the same thing so soon...Isn’t it?’ To which he smiled and said ‘what do you think I will like honey?’ and I instantly said ‘what about Strawberry cupcakes? We have some lovely fresh strawberries in the refrigerator and they would look so pretty on the table’ R said ‘Sound’s delicious let’s make some J Isn’t it wonderful how he provides me with clarity when I am so confused :D I love him for that.... (In my defence I really know what he would like to eat better than he does...and this definitely was worth it J)
For the Cupcakes
This will make about 14-20 cupcakes depending on your cupcake moulds
2 cups Flour
1 ½ cups Castor Sugar or Powdered Sugar
100 gms butter
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 large Egg
½ cup warm Milk
1 ½ cups pureed Strawberries
· Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line cup cake mould/pan with cupcake liners.
· Sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
· In a bowl beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add Vanilla and egg, beat again for about 2-3 mins.
· Add the flour in 2 additions beating on a low speed alternating with milk, until incorporated. Add the strawberry Puree and mix well with a rubber spatula. (Do not over-mix the batter especially after adding the flour)
· Divide the batter between the cupcake liners, filling each about ¾ full. Bake at 350 degree F until light golden and a toothpick interested in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 mins.
· Allow to cool in the moulds/pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting
1 cup Strawberries Chopped
3/cup Icing Sugar
4 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
½ cup Heavy/Fresh Cream (Chilled)
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
· In a bowl, whip the cream till it holds soft peaks and keep aside.
· In a separate bowl beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy for about 3-4 mins. Add the sugar and beat again for another 2 mins. Now add the vanilla & strawberries to this and beat till incorporated. Finally fold in the whipped cream with a rubber spatula.
· You can either fill this frosting in a pastry bag and use a decorative tip for icing or just go ahead and top you cupcakes with this goodness and eat! Like we did J.
Oh and btw while I was making the frosting I could not help resist eating the fresh strawberries with some fresh whipped cream…I added some mulberries also to it and we polished this off before we gulped down a couple of cupcakes!! J