Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes



A confession, I almost forgot to post this one...was going through my food pictures when I spotted these pretty babies and decided to write a post last night.

I wanted to bake something nice and pretty for New Year’s Eve and as usual I started with my long list of things that I could bake. The list was too confusing, so I asked R what he would like to eat. He said he would like to eat chocolate cake, to that I said ‘Isn’t that too heavy....I mean chocolate... Do you really want that?’ He said ‘fine, then make the cheese cake’ and I said ‘cheesecake...but I just made that a while ago...Its boring to make the same thing so soon...Isn’t it?’ To which he smiled and said ‘what do you think I will like honey?’ and I instantly said ‘what about Strawberry cupcakes? We have some lovely fresh strawberries in the refrigerator and they would look so pretty on the table’ R said ‘Sound’s delicious let’s make some J Isn’t it wonderful how he provides me with clarity when I am so confused :D I love him for that.... (In my defence I really know what he would like to eat better than he does...and this definitely was worth it J)


Recipe

For the Cupcakes

This will make about 14-20 cupcakes depending on your cupcake moulds

Ingredients

       2 cups Flour
1 ½ cups Castor Sugar or Powdered Sugar
100 gms butter
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 large Egg
½ cup warm Milk
1 ½ cups pureed Strawberries

Method:
·       Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line cup cake mould/pan with cupcake liners.
·       Sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
·       In a bowl beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add Vanilla and egg, beat again for about 2-3 mins.
·       Add the flour in 2 additions beating on a low speed alternating with milk, until incorporated.  Add the strawberry Puree and mix well with a rubber spatula. (Do not over-mix the batter especially after adding the flour)
·       Divide the batter between the cupcake liners, filling each about ¾ full. Bake at 350 degree F until light golden and a toothpick interested in the center comes out clean, about 20-25 mins.
·       Allow to cool in the moulds/pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Ingredients

For the Frosting
1 cup Strawberries Chopped
3/cup Icing Sugar
4 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
½ cup Heavy/Fresh Cream (Chilled)
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
           
Method:
·       In a bowl, whip the cream till it holds soft peaks and keep aside.
·       In a separate bowl beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy for about 3-4 mins. Add the sugar and beat again for another 2 mins. Now add the vanilla & strawberries to this and beat till incorporated. Finally fold in the whipped cream with a rubber spatula.
·       You can either fill this frosting in a pastry bag and use a decorative tip for icing or just go ahead and top you cupcakes with this goodness and eat! Like we did J.

Oh and btw while I was making the frosting I could not help resist eating the fresh strawberries with some fresh whipped cream…I added some mulberries also to it and we polished this off before we gulped down a couple of cupcakes!! J



2 comments:

  1. abhi wat is philadelphia cream cheese.. and wats the alternate for tis..
    secondly, frm whr do u get tes lovely cupcake mould and cupcake papers.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aashu,
    Philadelphia cream cheese is a soft cheese that is used for making cheesecakes or frostings. If you cant find it, you can use fresh whipped cream for the frosting instead.
    As for the cupcake liners and moulds, I got mine from Hong Kong but they are available at arife lamoulde in Mumbai too now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Pages