I recently came across this recipe by Pioneer Woman which she calls ‘the best coffee cake ever’. Now someone like her calling a cake best ever...it had to be tried.. J It was a Saturday, me and R were in a very lazy mood and we were craving for a cup of hot coffee....what better than to accompany our coffee than the ‘best coffee cake ever’!! So I headed to the kitchen to bake this gorgeousness and R decided to make us some coffee J
Adapted from pioneer woman
For the Cake
Makes a 7 inch round cake
60 gms egg white
180gms Castor Sugar/Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Baking Powder
15o ml milk (warm)
½ tsp Salt if you are using unsalted butter
For the Topping
85gms Butter Softened
60 gms Flour
100gms Brown Sugar (I used half Brown Sugar & half Muscavado Sugar)
100gms Pecans (Chopped)
1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
· Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together the flour, salt & baking soda. Beat egg whites & set aside.
· Cream butter & sugar till light & fluffy. Add flour mixture & milk alternatively till combined. Starting & ending with flour. Don’t over beat.
· Fold in egg whites with a rubber spatula.
· Spread the mixture in a 7 inch round/square pan with the bottom lined with parchment/butter paper.
· In a separate bowl combine all the topping ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle it over the cake batter.
· Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a skewer interested in the center comes out clean.
The buttery sugary topping is just out of the world with the softest light textured vanilla sponge cake…Please do make one of these and you will most certainly enjoy your coffee much more J