Sunday, December 11, 2011

Strawberry & Rhubarb Cobbler





The Strawberries are finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I know I sound way too excited...but I have a darn good reason to be.. they are here after a long eternal wait and I LOVE THEM!! I am going to ensure that i eat them every day till they last. So yesterday was the first weekend after I managed to get my hands on 2 precious boxes of strawberries and I had to bake something with them. I have been wanting to make something with strawberries and rhubarb since a long time and I finally have both the ingredients in my pantry..so here is the Strawberry & Rhubarb cobbler. 





Ingredients

3 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
¾  cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 teaspoon orange zest

For the cobbler crust:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
1  egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method
1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, corn starch, and orange zest. Let sit for 30 minutes to bring out the juices.
2. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of sugar, flour, baking powder. Cut the butter in with a pastry blender or your hands. Combine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the milk, egg, and vanilla, stir until just moistened. Don't over mix.
3. Spoon strawberries and rhubarb into a 9 inch baking dish or individual ramekins (I used individual ceramic bowls).  Drop the cobbler batter on top of the fruit. Bake for 30-35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown and fruit filling is bubbling.
You can serve with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream over the still warm cobbler. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages