Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Banana Bread


I have never been too fond of bananas. The idea of any kind banana bakes was somehow always unappealing to me. In fact I had never even tried any bake that had banana in them forget making anything with banana in the last 2 years of baking. If ever offered by someone I would politely pick up a piece and keep it aside, never to be touched later J. I guess there is always a first time for everything….me and Mr. R were away from home for a couple of days and when we came back, upon entering the kitchen I realized that we forgot keeping the bananas in the refrigerator…not that it would have helped much.. but anyways there were these half a dozen brown, spotty, over ripe few hours away from luring fruit flies bananas. I almost thought of putting them in the trash when the thought of trying a banana bread struck me, if I didn’t like it didn’t mean no one else would…and anyway these were going to the bin. So I looked up a recipe and decide to use one from Simply recipes with a few tweaks of course. The result was a very moist and delicious banana bread…I must confess I am a convert now..I like banana bakes J the taste of the bread improves outrageously the next day (I would always make this a day ahead henceforth)…it’s good to carry to work (if at all it survives that long J ) for those in between hunger pangs and makes for a yummy breakfast slathered with the nutty..chocolaty goodness of some nutella slathered on a slice!!! Go bananas!! :D




Ingredients

4-5 ripe bananas (mashed)
2 cups Flour
1/3 cup butter (room temperature)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4th teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4th teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
1 cup Muscavado Sugar (you can use half cup of this sugar with half a cup of castor sugar if you find the taste of muscavado overpowering…I loved the earthy strong flavour of the Muscavado sugar in my bread)
50gms roasted walnuts
2 teaspoons of honey

Method:

·        Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
·        Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla, honey, cinnamon and then the roasted chopped walnuts. Sprinkle the baking soda and baking powder over the mixture and mix in.
·        Add the flour last, mix.
·        Pour mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes  or until a tester comes out clean.
·        Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages