I love yogurt cakes, not that you need any reasons apart from their fabulous summer berry fresh taste but in case you need more reasons, you can feel less guilty eating them because they are a healthier version of your regular cakes since you are using yogurt instead of cream/milk J . Also they are super moist and light, perfect with a cup of tea!! The best part is making this is a breeze, in fact my husband owes me a pair of Zara shoes, as a result of a bet he lost. A few weeks back while coming back from the beach he bet that I couldn’t make this cake in less time than his famous ginger tea ;) and of course I won!! (Although he blames it on time that he took to clean up the egg I broke while baking ;) )
175gms Powdered Sugar
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2/3rd teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4th teaspoon Baking Soda
· Preheat the oven to 180C. Butter the sides & place a parchment/butter paper at the bottom of an 8 inch pan.
· In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
· In another bowl, mix together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to mix until evenly incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract.
· Add the flour mixture and yoghurt alternately until it looks like a homogenous mixture.
· Stir in half the berries. Add the cake batter into the prepared pan and press the remaining berries into the dough.
· Bake for 35-40 minutes for or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean
- Eat it warm out of the oven.
I usually sprinkle the top of the cake with a little sugar before putting it into the oven, the sugar and the berries on the top turn into a yummy ruby coloured sweet jam with a tangy bite. J