Saturday, March 12, 2011

Herb & Garlic Infused Olive Oil


How many times I have come across recipes that use these flavoured olive oils..(lemon infused, chilly infused, garlic infused & herb infused garlic oils etc…..) and they all sounded so exotic and delicious J that I decided to take a trip to our nearest supermarket to get some of these for myself (not that I need any excuse to shop for food ingredients J I am almost have an OCD when it comes to food shopping) but to my utter disappointment most of these herbed oils available were exorbitantly priced….about a 1000 rupees for a tiny bottle.. now that’s too much!! That’s when I decided to try making my own herb infused oil and happy to report the result to was superb!!! It was easy to choose garlic as the base for my flavoured oil as I absolutely love garlic and garlic and olive oil together is a brilliant combination J


Ingredients


2 cups extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chilli flakes (I realised I had run out of chilli flakes only after I had started making my oil so I used whole dried chillies instead
15-20 cloves 0f chopped garlic
A few sprigs of Thyme and rosemary

Method:

·        Simply add everything together and bring the oil to a simmer (the oil will simmer because of the moisture trapped in the garlic) and keep it on a low flame for about 4 mins. Once it cools down, transfer in a bottle and refrigerate.
·         The oil will keep good for about a week.
  

The oil can be used in loads of recipes.. the first I can think of is with tossed pasta J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages