Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blueberry & Vanilla Upside Down Cake

DeIt was a Saturday morning and I was flipping through the hypercity supplement that had come with the newspaper, when my gaze froze on this advert that said ‘fresh blueberries now available in hypercity’, it might seem as an exaggeration but I swear I thought I was still asleep and was dreaming….how I have wished and prayed that I could get my hands on fresh blueberries and raspberries for a long long time (trust me getting such ingredients in this part of  the world is difficult) and I could not believe my prayers had finally been answered (I actually called and confirmed about the availability at their store J ) . Everything else in the world could wait, I had to get to hypercity and buy those blueberries so I asked my husband & brother to get ready and we headed straight to the store.

As I approached the shelf I could not stop smiling, the numerous possibilities of using these precious blue gems kept flashing through my head. I eventually decided to go with the combination of vanilla and blueberries J





I am so happy that we get blueberries here...one less item on my wish list now J


And btw I used the method of folding in the beaten egg whites right at the end which resulted in a super soft and light vanilla sponge. The flavour of cake improves the next day..so u can make this cake a day ahead if you wish. 

Recipe

Yield: one 9 inch cake

Ingredients:

150gms fresh blueberries
4 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp butter
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sodium bicarb
120gms butter
2 cups powdered sugar (or 1 ½ if you don’t like it too sweet)
2 eggs
½ cup hot milk
3 tsp vanilla extract

1.        Preheat oven to 350F/175C. 
2.        In a separate small bowl beat the egg whites until light and fluffy almost till they start forming stiff peaks
3.   Mix/sift the flour, baking powder sodium together in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until it’s creamy.
3.   Add the vanilla extract, egg yolks and beat for about a minute. Fold in the dry ingredients into this mixture followed by folding in the egg whites also with a silicon/rubber spatula.
4.    Butter a 9 inch pan/bowl then apply a generous coating of butter on the bottom and the sides. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter and place the blueberries over this. Pour the batter over the blueberries. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer or wooden toothpick comes out clean.

The cake should be turned upside down onto a plate/stand as soon as its done or the berries might stick to the bottom once the sugar starts solidifying.  I served my cake with vanilla ice cream...u can try serving it with whipped cream as well J


1 comment:

Pages