Sunday, October 17, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Upside Down Cake with Dulce Leche

If you have read my first post you would already know that my tryst with baking is something that I owe to my husband’s sweet tooth and the oven gifted by my mother. Here I would also like to add that it was probably a dormant gene in me somewhere that I inherited from my mother because I don’t know of anyone who is as fond of making and eating sweets as her J (she makes some of the most amazing traditional sweets that I know of) . So whenever my mother comes over baking something new every day becomes the top most priority on I our to do list…… J
So the last month when my parents came over I experimented with this apple & cinnamon upside down cake…




The combination of apples & cinnamon instantly spells comfort….so the moment I saw a lot of apples in the house the idea of combining the warm heavenly flavours of caramelized apples and cinnamon with the creamy toffee Dulce de leche that I had made the day before popped into my head. Happy to report it came out fabulous.




Recipe

Yield: One 9 inch round cake

Ingredients:

3 large apples peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
4 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp butter
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sodium bicarb
120gms butter
2 cups powdered sugar (or 1 ½ if you don’t like it too sweet)
2 eggs
½ cup apple juice
1 tsp vanilla

1.      Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Mix the sliced apples with brown sugar and ½ a tsp of cinnamon together just a few drops of lemon juice and set it aside.
2.      Mix the flour, baking powder sodium bicarbonate & 1 tsp of cinnamon powder together in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar until it’s creamy.
3.      In a separate small bowl beat the eggs until light. Add the juice and the vanilla, mix well and add it to the sugar and butter, beating thoroughly. Fold in the dry ingredients into this mixture.
4.      Butter a 9 inch pan/bowl then apply a generous coating of butter on the bottom and the sides. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter and place the apple slices over this. Pour the batter over the apples. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until a skewer or wooden toothpick comes out clean.

The cake should be turned upside down onto a plate/stand as soon as its done or the apples might stick to the bottom once the sugar starts solidifying. You could serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I served mine with Dulce de leche while the cake was still warm.
.
The cake turned out very moist and dense...and the house filled up with the most delicious aroma J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages